PARTNER EMERITUS, CPA, MBA
HONORARY CONSUL OF JAPAN IN SAN DIEGO
International tax is the focus of Kate Leonard’s practice as a partner with H&B. With clients spanning six continents, Kate uses her global expertise to advise clients on cross-border tax matters, solve IRS issues for U.S. expatriates, and provide pre-immigration tax planning for nonresident aliens settling in the United States. She facilitates audits and financial reporting under both US GAAP and IFRS. Kate also works closely with law firms under Kovel letters to serve clients with Offshore Compliance Options, including, IRS Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Initiative program (OVDI/OVDP) and the Streamlined Filing Compliance Procedures.
While working at a Big Four CPA firm in the United States, Kate was given the rare opportunity to move to Japan, where she was the only American CPA with Japan’s largest audit corporation, Asahi Kansa Hojin (Japan’s Arthur Young affiliate). She joined Hutchinson and Bloodgood LLP as a partner in 2010.
Kate has continued her dedication to international tax and global organizations and in 2012 was appointed the Honorary Consul of Japan in San Diego. In this position, she encourages business, cultural, and academic ties between San Diego and Japan. Kate also serves as President of the San Diego Consular Corps, which works closely with the Tijuana Consular Corps.
Japan Air Lines Honors Kate Leonard
Japan Air Lines has an article in their current in-flight magazine that talks about Kate and her work for the Japanese community in San Diego and abroad.
Did You Know
Currently, Kate serves on the board of directors of Mainly Mozart, one of San Diego’s leading music organizations. She plays the flute in the Kearny Mesa Concert Band and is conversant in Japanese.
- IFRS Conversion
- International Taxation
- Pre-Immigration Tax Planning
- Bachelor of Arts in Japanese Studies with a Minor in Accounting; San Jose State University
- Master of Business Administration in International Studies; Santa Clara University
- Member of the Firm’s International Team
- AICPA Council Representative
- AICPA’s Form 5471 and Foreign Nationals Task Forces
- CalCPA’s San Diego President and CalCPA’s Secretary/Treasurer
- Chair of CalCPA’s Global Opportunities Committee
- CalCPA’s International Conference Co-chair
- Founder (and frequently chairing) the US-Mexico Annual Joint CPA Conference
- American Institute of CPAs
- California Society of CPAs