PARTNER EMERITUS, CPA
Sergio has been in public accounting practice for thirty-seven plus years of which thirty-four have been with Hutchinson and Bloodgood. Although over the years he has developed a very significant high wealth and multi-generational tax and accounting practice related to family businesses, by far, Sergio’s professional passion has been in-bound and out-bound international tax planning and compliance. Because of El Centro’s positioning along the US-Mexico border, these two niches often do overlapped. The international practice of Hutchinson and Bloodgood, which Sergio initiated in the El Centro office in 1987, has now expanded to the offices in San Diego, Glendale, and Watsonville, and includes the firm team of 10 partners, over 15 managers and staff.
Having grown up and lived all of his life along the U.S./Mexican border and having been involved throughout his life in cross-border business activity, has allowed Sergio to relate his practical experience to international accounting and tax issues. Combined with this background is a deep and unique understanding of Mexican business customs and culture. While Sergio’s initial international base was Mexico, he has leveraged his understanding of the complex global issues to serve clients and companies from throughout the world.
Sergio and his team assist Mexican accountants, and Mexican and U.S. attorneys, in structuring U.S. operations for foreigners. In addition, the team brings U.S. taxpayers into compliance with U.S. international tax requirements.
Among the industries which Sergio serves are
- Logistic and custom broker operations
- Cross-border manufacturing and assembly
- Wholesale and food processing distribution
- Hospitality industry
- Cross border real estate investment
As featured speaker in seminars and symposiums in the United States and throughout Mexico, Sergio has addressed U.S. taxation either when coming in to the United States or when investing or carrying out business operations abroad, in addition to numerous other international topics, such as International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS). He has served as visiting lecturer in international accounting at the Mexican University Centro de Enseñanza Técnica y Superior (CETYS) at its Mexicali campus.
Sergio is a graduate of the University of San Diego, receiving a bachelor of science degree in accounting and business administration. As a certified public accountant, he is a member of the California Society of CPAs and the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants. He sat for numerous terms as national vice-chairman of the international practice committee for PKF North America and has served as an advisor/consultant for PKF International.
- Business Planning and Consulting
- Estate Planning
- Exit Planning For Business Owners
- Family Business
- Financial Reporting and Assurance
- International Taxation
- Cross Border Real Estate Investment
- Family Business
- Logistic and Custom Broker Operations
- Wholesale and Food Processing Distribution
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting and Business Administration; University of San Diego
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- California Society of CPAs
- Served as National Vice-Chairman of the International Practice Committee for PKF North America
- Served as an advisor/consultant for PKF International